Even as a child I was obsessed with reading the credits. One name that featured constantly in Antakshari (and later Sa Re Ga Ma – man, Sonu Nigam looked like anorexic Falguni Pathak) was Gajendra Singh.
Why is this trivia important? Because, today while everyone else was having a life on a Saturday evening, I was home flipping channels and came across this show, “Sur Kshetra”, which was conceived and directed and etc by Gajendra Singh.
Few things I noticed about this show:
1. Annu Kapoor (and his female co-hosts) were replaced by Ayesha Takia, jo akele hi apne mazboot erm.. *cough* kandho *cough* pe is show ka bojh uthathi hai. Today she was wearing something in bubblegum pink colour which was all the way till her toes, and her heels seemed to be transparent, so she was like lady Yudhishthir, walking 4 fingers above ground, almost in air. *applause*
2. So basically, the show is like a yudh of songs/singing between India and Pakistan, where Indian teams’s captain is Himesh Reshammiya (JAIMATADILETZROCK) and Pakistani team’s captain is Atif Aslam. #AtifAslamIsHot
3. I am not sure how the show progresses, because I don’t think I’m gonna follow it (one time watch was also too much #AtifAslamIsHot) but one thing I can tell you, the participants are better singer than Indian Idol contestants. (even I can sing better than Indian Idol contestants and I am besuri even in chorus).
4. Indian Idol se yaad aaya, Asha Tai is also a judge (?) or some sort of umpire on this show, along with Abida Parveen and Runa Laila. (I must admit I had to google to find out Runa Laila’s name. Apparently she’s from Bangladesh – guess she’s the third umpire, then) Also, #AtifAslamIsHot
5. So this show is part of the Aman Ki Asha thingy, where we are trying to talk about peace between the two countries – India and Pakistan. Of course, music knows no boundaries, and 80% of songs on iPods on India come from songs.pk, what better than a music reality/talent show to show how we love each other.
6. Now, each contestant comes and promises to win the show, and how Insha’Allah jeet will be of their country, and in between Himeshbhai pouts (somebody give him a chapstick already – or ask him to keep his lips hydrated) and growls how this is war. Quite an irony, considering the theme is peace. But, #AtifAslamIsHot
7. Now, Asha Tai, seriously? WHAI? if a contestant sings her song, she will immediately give her own performance after that, just to steal the contestant’s thunder. Matlab, why? And she has anecdotes about her sister all the time. Even I have an elder sister, do you see me talk about her all the time? No. #AtifAslamIsHot
8. Abida Parveen. I love her hair. They are so curly and fluffy, I bet she doesn’t use a pillow while sleeping. Listen, I don’t know much about her songs – so if you want to know, google, or youtube, or songs.pk. k.
9. And one thing that caught my eye was, how everyone was busy telling the person from the other country how we love each other.
10. All this is okay, but when is Ajmal Kasab going to be hanged?